The caveman approach to a healthy heart, body and life with Paleo Cardiologist Dr Jack Wolfson #18
I went gluten-free over a year ago now. Despite the odd rolling of eyes when I (yet again) ask the waiter or the barman if there is gluten in that, the reaction has been generally positive. And I'm noticing more and more people doing the same.
An extraordinary amount of the guests in the Zestology podcast have spoken about not eating gluten, so today's highly qualified guest is the perfect person to dig deeper into this topic. How might doing this give us more energy, vitality and motivation? More below.
ANNOUNCEMENT: Today's Zestology is also exciting as we have some new music that is pretty awesome, from British DJs Above and Beyond. They are one of the world’s biggest DJ acts, absolutely huge all around the world, their biggest gig I think was 1 million people on Rio beach at Carnival time, and they are also great guys too. They very kindly have agreed to let me use one of their tracks as the new music for Zestology. Take a listen and let me know what you think. Today we’re looking at the caveman approach to a healthy heart, body and life.
My guest is Dr Jack Wolfson, the author of the Paleo Cardiologist. He was a conventional cardiologist, a Director of Cardiac Rehabilitation and a very successful heart doctor. But deep down, he was perhaps unsatisfied until he met his future wife, who came from a very different background. I’ll let him tell the story in the podcast, but together they formed a new approach to heart health.
I’m pretty sure you’ve heard of Paleo, but just in case you’ve been living in the dark ages, (actually if you have you might know about Paleo) click here for the brief rundown.
We dig deep into gluten. What's the deal with gluten? What are the probs? Why are so many people giving it up? How can doing so improve our energy and wellbeing?
Also, if you suffer from Hay Fever, please do listen to today's episode. There are a whole load of natural methods for dealing with the streaming eyes, runny nose, and general stuffiness that Hay Fever brings on. Click below now to listen or find it on iTunes anytime.
When you listen you'll hear:
Living with more energy
- What is the modern “good life” [6:38]
- The impact that pharmaceuticals have on your body and gut (it’s not pretty) [7:55]
- Why it’s important to get to the root cause of a health issue versus simply prescribing more medication [8:31]
- Why the foundation of any Paleo diet Pyramid should always be vegetables. [12:10]
- The American Food Pyramids is outdated and wrong. What your daily diet should consist of instead [13:45]
Easy, everyday tips for vitality
- A high quality multi-vitamin should be on everyone’s “to do list” whether you’re young or old. Be sure there are no artificial colors or flavors included! [27:20]
- Start your day with a green dehydrated vegetable powder to decrease inflammation and cardiac risk every morning [28:55]
- If you’re trying to introduce your kids to a Paleo lifestyle, try swapping out traditional treats with gluten-free and organic options instead. [34:11]
- Statins work (according to research paid for by pharmaceutical companies) but there are also harmful side effects that come with their usage. Find better options here. [19:50]
- Three great rules to live by are: gluten-free, organic, and soy-free. Here’s why [23:00]
- Here’s what gluten actually does to your body [25:00]
- “It’s hard to get a man to understand something, when his job depends on not understand it” [18:50]
- Go to sleep with the sun down and awake with the sunrise [37:00]
For more information
- Designs for health
- Wolfson Integrative Cardiology
- The Paleo Cardiologist Book
- Good Calories, Bad Calories
- Atlas Shrugged
Remember, here's how you can listen to today's episode
- Listen to this episode on iTunes (please do rate us - it makes a huge difference! Thank you)
- Stream by clicking below.
Tempted by gluten free? Or Paleo? Or think it's all a fad? Let me know in the comments.
Zestology Guest: Jack Wolfson