The Bruce Lee Test
[1 minute self-development]
You've heard the story about Bruce Lee writing a letter to himself, right? If not, let me very briefly tell you before I get on to my Bruce Lee Test.
He sent himself a letter in 1969, essentially saying "By 1980 I will be the best known oriental movie star in the United States and will have made $10 million dollars." He also said "I will live the way I please and achieve inner harmony and happiness." (That's my favourite bit). The letter is now on display at Planet Hollywood in New York.
Bearing all this in mind, this week I've created 'The Bruce Lee Test' for you to take. Here goes:
The Bruce Lee Test
- Have you got something exciting, important or significant in your life that you're working towards?
- Have you been creative yet and written it down in a quirky and unusual place? (Examples, hiding a note in your shoe, sending yourself a postcard, writing it on a beach in the sand and taking a picture, hiring a plane and writing it in the sky - okay, you've got to be really committed for this last one.)
If the answers to both these questions are 'yes', then congratulations, you've passed my Bruce Lee Test!
If the answer to either is no, then you could consider these points.
- Having something exciting, important or significant to work towards is good, right?
- The creative writing bit adds to the level of 'commitment' I mentioned before.
- Psychologist James Pennebaker says in his book Opening Up: "The degree to which writing or talking about basic thoughts and feelings can produce such profound physical and psychological changes is nothing short of amazing"
- All this is fun.
So that's it. If you've got any good photos of having passed the Bruce Lee Test, ping them over in an email, I'd love to put them in next week's blog.
Have a great week.
ps. So much reaction from last week's thoughts on 'digital downtime'. Big shouts to many of you including James who hides his iPhone over on his wife's side of the bed before he goes to sleep so he can't check it the next morning!