Post-election anxiety? How to deal with it with Lucy McCarthy #89
This US election was a source of stress for 52% of American adults according to the American Psychological Association.The Washington Post found 70% of registered voters – that is, including Trump supporters – said the prospect of a Trump presidency made them anxious. The figure for Clinton was 50%. There have been multiple reports of election-related fears arising on therapists’ couches as never before, along with anecdotes of relationships damaged by political disagreement. (Taken from The Guardian)
- Are you feeling post election anxiety?
- Are you concerned about the future?
- Have you got that uneasy feeling in your stomach about world events?
If you're like me, you may not have feeling quite so much energy, vitality and motivation over the past few days. The election result came as a shock to many of us. So when Zestology friend of the show, yogi and adventurer Lucy McCarthy and I met yesterday, the original plan kind of went out the window. I wasn't feeling particularly perky, so instead we had an honest discussion on post-election anxiety, and how to deal with it.
This isn't a trump-bashing podcast. I'm fully aware that some listeners may have voted for him. It's more about how we deal with the extraordinary stimulation and fear levels that many of us have experienced over the past few weeks, and are still experiencing now.
Election-induced distress is a thing. So that's what I'm looking at today.
Okay, time for the podcast, and as always, all the ways you can listen are below.
Click below to stream this week's podcast now...
When you listen you'll hear
- The power of switching off [2:29]
- The concept of not reading and watching the news [9:03]
- Worrying and anxiety is a habit [12:59]
- Be the master of your mind [13:52]
- The average attention span [14:30]
- Three weeks with nature [21:34]
- We co-create our experience in the world [29:13]
- You co-create your reality [30:49]
- Commit for 3 minutes in a day to distress [34:30]
- Go outside and be in nature [35:57]
- Be engaged with the outside world and your own personal journey [43:48]
For more information
This podcast is brought to you by Bulletproof Coffee and supplements. Bulletproof is for anyone that wants to perform better, and features supplements and products based on 20 years of mind and body performance research. I use Bulletproof - all the time - and I've sorted a 10% discount for Zestology listeners. Simply use the code ZESTOLOGY at checkout. I've been really chuffed at how many people have taken advantage of this discount code over the past month. Any questions on Bulletproof you are always welcome to click reply to this email or use the contact form on the website.
Zestology Guest: Lucy McCarthy