Answered: how to deal with excess sulfur caused by the CBS gene
If you are someone who is heterozygous or homozygous for the CBS gene (like me), you may find it tough to clear the sulphur / sulfur and ammonia out of your system. You’ve taken 23andme or another genetic test, and you’ve worked out that you have a problem with sulfur, but what next? Read on.
Here’s a checklist of what worked for me, and seems to be the current advice.
- L-Ornithine. This is a brilliant supplement. Read more here. It’s helped me a LOT. It helps clear the blood-brain barrier too and is an important amino-acid for you.
- Yucca supplementation. In particular the CBS/BHMT Assist supplement is excellent
- Reducing chlorine exposure by getting a Berkey Water Filter - don’t avoid this step as it’s really important.
- Reducing sulphurous foods until you can process them better. (Especially cruciferous veggies). Check out this article on thiols here, it’s brilliant.
- Molybdenum is a good supplement that can help with short-term discomfort
- And this article provided extra invaluable advice
Speaking to a functional medicine practitioner for more guidance on this issue (definitely important).
None of the above should be taken as medical advice. Always consult your practitioner.