October 11, 2015
Posted by: Tony in Blog
Hey Sauerkraut fans! (Silence).
Actually I love sauerkraut, and confess I am a bit of a fermented foods geek although I've never plucked up the courage to DIY at home. But whatever you think of it, there is a very good reason for fermenting, and it is not necessarily to introduce some tasty healthy recipes into our diet. Although it does that too.
Why you should listen. (The good stuff)
- Interested in increasing your performance levels? Then this is relevant. Because...
- An increasing body of research suggests that fermented foods can influence not just our gut health, but our brain health as well.
- Top neurologists now recommend eating the stuff we talk about in this podcast as the best way to increase your mental game.
- In other words, brain experts focus on the gut! Interesting...
In a recent study researchers at UCLA demonstrated that daily consumption of a fermented product containing five different strains of probiotic bacteria actually changed the brain’s emotional response to various stimuli, as measured on an advanced brain imaging thingamijig (technical term).
- In other words, putting more fermented good stuff into your stomach can have a major impact on your high performance levels, and change how your brain works.
Jill Ciciarelli is the owner of First Comes Health, a certified holistic health coach, and the author of a fantastic book, Fermented: A four season approach to Paleo probiotic foods. Jill is definitely your go-to expert for all your home-fermenting needs and how it could change your life, your gut and your brain health.
Show notes (for reference - or if you want to skip to the most important bits for you)
- Why fermented food? [3:20]
- How fermentation works [6:05]
- Jill’s favorite at-home recipes for beginners [9:00]
- Beauty hacks through fermentation [12:45]
- Healthy gut biota [15:20]
- Are there child-friendly options? [16:40]
- What in the world is kombucha? [20:34]
- Homemade kombucha [23:00]
- Always keep moving [28:50]
For more information
- The Art of Fermentation
- Fermented: A Four Season Approach To Paleo Probiotic Foods
Remember, here's how you can listen to today's episode.
- Listen to this episode on iTunes (please do rate us - it makes a huge difference! Thank you)
- Stream by clicking below.
Do you like Zestology? If so, please forward this email to a friend and suggest they sign up for a weekly helping of Zest.
- Eat whatever you want with nutritionist and body image coach Summer Innanen #8 Posted in Blog, Zestology, Nutrition
- Happy stomach = increased energy and happiness with digestive expert and podcast host Sam Bearfoot #16 Posted in Blog, Zestology, Nutrition
- The Science of Behaviour Change with Anti Diet Founder Siri Steinmo #12 Posted in Blog, Zestology, Nutrition